Monday, August 13, 2012

Sriracha Ketchup



Yep, you read that right.  Sriracha ketchup.  When Josh and I were at a restaurant in St. Thomas we noticed Sriracha ketchup was listed on the menu.  Josh's meal came with fries so we asked for some.  We both loved it! It wasn't as spicy as I expected it to be, but it gave the ketchup a different flavor.  And by different, I mean way better.  Turns out, our restaurant the next night had this condiment as well.  Apparently, it's very common in the Virgin Islands.

I first fell in love with Sriracha sauce about 5 years ago.  It's an Asian sauce, often referred to as Rooster sauce due to the container.  It's spicy so you do not need much, but this sauce can go with many items.  I often saute some veggies in soy sauce and Sriracha sauce and eat it over rice.  It's a great condiment to have in your refrigerator.  You can find it at any grocery store.

Even though Sriracha on it's own is incredibly spicy, when it was blended together with ketchup it enhanced the flavor, but as I mentioned, not as spicy as I expected.  I consider this a perfect union of condiments.  Unfortunately, I now feel after eating this combo I will find plain ketchup rather boring.  I've brought them together and now I can't bear to separate them.  It just wouldn't be right.

I wasted no time after returning from our trip and I made some over the weekend.  I heated up some of my tasty Tofu Edamame Nuggets.  I used 1 T. Sriracha and 3 T. ketchup.  It was more spicy that the one we had in St. Thomas, but I liked it that way.  There really is no perfect combination here...make it how you like it.  Less Sriracha if you don't want it spicy, more if you like your mouth on fire.  

I am extremely Type A personality and the "island time" phrase was mentioned more times than I can count during our vacation.  Island time means relax and we will get it done when we get around to it.  Island time=Trisha trying not to stroke out.   Although I may not agree with the approach to life in the Virgin Isalnds, they are on to something with this condiment.  I am forever grateful to the island of St. Thomas; they brought two of my favorite things together: friends and food.  My friend KoKo was united with Kip, and ketchup and Sriracha were united as well.  Oh, what a vacation it was!



Looks just like ketchup, but it has so much more to offer!  Bottom corner is my kale and goat cheese stuffed mushroom.  Not great, not horrible.  You win some, you lose some.


4 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. This is off by an hour...it was 5:30 a.m. :) Perhaps that's why it's a rather boring post/simple sentences on something I was very excited about!

      Delete
  2. We made some last night for our veggie burgs and sweet pot fries....liked! Would be great with fish!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was hoping you'd try this b/c I know how much you like Sriracha sauce...glad you liked it!

      Delete

I'd love to hear your comments!