Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Baked Salmon

Yesterday, Josh had a golf tournament he played in that ended with a dinner so I was on my own.  What I really wanted to eat was this:

 

Thai Basil Tofu from a place called Tsunami that’s just down the road from me.  It is one of my favorite meals in Wichita.  However, I have said the word “budget” more times than I prefer to in my entire life this past month to Josh so I figured I should try and follow it too.  I saved the $9 (because let’s face it, we know I’ll cave and buy new workout pants next week) and decided to eat at home.  After rummaging through the freezer and pantry I had a great idea.  I always have fish in the freezer so I pulled out some salmon and decided to try the recipe that’s floating around on Pinterest where you put it in the cold oven, turn it on and it’s supposed to be flaky and perfect in 25 minutes.  It sounded too good to be true, but I gave it a whirl.  When I first clicked the link to this recipe last week it took me to The Pioneer Woman's website and I did not have high hopes.  Usually, her recipes are full of butter and things I try not to cook with, but this was quite the opposite.  She explains her friend came to visit and prepared this so that might explain it! Ha ha!

I also had some sort of grain from Trader Joe’s my mom gave me last time I was home.  She gave it to me in a Ziploc so I have no idea what it is, but it’s a mixture of tri-colored orzo, red quinoa, lentil and other deliciousness.  I cooked it in vegetable broth and ate it with my salmon. 

I took a picture of my pepper and salt because I just love my pink salt.  I bought it on my first ever trip to Trader Joe's.  This lady was buying it who had been to Trader Joe's before and went on and on to my mom and me about how good it tastes.  I had to hold back from interrupting her.  She clearly didn't know me.  You had me at PINK, lady.  I'm buying it for that reason only.  To be honest, I try not to cook with a ton of added salt and I think it tastes like salt.  However, I think it's more fun to use pink salt so that's what I use.
Drizzled with a little olive oil and sprinkled with salt & pepper.
 
All done.  I took mine out after 15 minutes (recipe says 25) because I had a small portion and in the recipe they have an entire fillet.  It was not done at 10, but I probably should have checked it again at 12.
 
Verdict: VERY simple.  I actually really enjoyed it with the Trader Joe’s blend, but I think it would be a little bland if I would have only eaten it with brown rice like I normally do.  I will definitely make this again for a quick, healthy dinner, but I might get more creative with the spices I sprinkle on top. It’s nice to just plop it in the oven and it’s done in minutes.  I am not going to rave about it quite like the Pioneer Woman, but I will remember this easy method and use it again sometime.  My suggestion if you make it is to remember to pair it with a flavorful quinoa, rice, or mixture like I did by making it with broth instead of water.  Or, do like they show in the recipe and pair it with potatoes and vegetables to supplement it.

Don't forget, make sure you buy WILD CAUGHT salmon.  (One of these days I'll post about why, but for now, trust me) Check your packages!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear your comments!