Friday, June 15, 2012

Food Rules by Michael Pollan



I read a fantastic book today. I have heard of Michael Pollan for his NY Times best seller called, "The Omnivores Dilemma." I have not read it yet, but it's on my book list and it just moved to the top of the list! Today, I read Michael Pollan's short book entitled, "Food Rules". In it, he lists quick rules to live by when eating. I could blog each one of his rules every day and I'd have so much to write! If you are at a loss for where to start or how to educate yourself on healthy living this book would be great for you. I agreed with all of his rules and try to follow them already myself. Even if you lead a healthy eating lifestyle you can still learn some things and he makes some very valid points. (Very candidly showing the faults of our Western diet and stating we need to take notes from the Italians and Chinese big time) I borrowed the book from my instructor at a training today and then proceeded to read it while he taught...oops. I had a great conversation during a break with him about "flexitarians", which is when he showed me this book so I don't think he minded at all! (Flexitarian: one who eats meat about 1 time per week. I finally have a label! How have I never heard of this term?) Anyway, I wrote down a Chinese Proverb from the book about cutting way back on our meat intake.

Eating what stands on one leg (mushrooms and plant foods) is better than eating what stands on two legs (fowl), which is better than eating what stands on four legs (cows, pigs, other mammals).

Michael Pollan covers everything from a rule about not eating cereal that changes your milk color to avoiding high fructose corn syrup. I was challenged by one of his sections on how to eat. He states the first bite is the best tasting and it will only go downhill from there. Not that the food gets bad, but your taste buds do not appreciate its greatness as readily. He challenges you to chew your food slowly and put your fork down in between each bite. I've tried to work on this before and I fail each time. I'm trying again though! I really need to slow down and enjoy what's been prepared and savor each bite. In theory, I'll give my brain more time to process that I'm full as well. It's a win-win! To wrap up, I'm going to remember this quote from his book in regards to slowing down and enjoying your wine and meal.

Drink your food and chew your drink.

Maybe if I repeat that saying enough I'll savor the flavors of my wine by letting it linger and I'll chew my food enough times to really appreciate it. I almost forgot to tell you my favorite rule of the book. Rule #43: Drink a glass of red wine with dinner each night. Cheers to that!





No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear your comments!